Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Clam Chowder Bread Bowls

Clam Chowder is such a staple in American food, I can think of nothing better on a cold winter day then some hot soup, so with the weather being so frigid lately I figured it was a great time to fill us up with some creamy hot chowder bowls. It is one of Nathans favorite things I make. He was very please when I told him what was for dinner. This is all from scratch no can soup base and stock. The only thing canned is the clams, if I could of had them fresh I would prefer it that way.

Start out my heating your pot on medium heat, add two tablespoons of butter. While that is melting and getting nice and hot and bubbly, finely chop one medium onion.

Three sticks of celery
Smash 4 cloves of garlic under your knife
then diceWhen the butter is nice and hot and bubbly, add all the above ingredients
add salt and pepper to taste. I prefer lots of pepper, sweat all ingredients for about 6 minutes.
While the veggis are sweating chop two medium potatoes. These have been waiting patiently in a dark brown bag in the garage since fall. Nathan grew so many potatoes this last summer! They come in handy! Cut these beauties into small cubes

At this point go back to your pot add some red pepper flakes, you control the heat so add as much as you like. We like it with a little kick so I add about two teaspoons.
Stir and mix up all the goodness, then open two cans of these bad boys
Poor the juice in to a small bowl set aside you will be using it soon.
Now add the clams to the potheat for about five minutes
Then add one pint half & half. You could use heavy cream I just choose to use this.
Bring to a low simmer then add the clam juice you saved from the cans
bring back up to a low boil
then add the potatoes and one cup water
Bring to a low boil, cover and cook for 20 minutes..
In the mean time clean up, set the table and get the bread bowls ready.
Start by cutting a circle in to top of your bread bowl, you can use sourdough or a french bowl. I used French...next time I will use sourdough
When you are done cutting the circle pull out the bread, you will have to remove a little more to shape it... set it aside you can use it later for dipping When you are done prepping the bread bowls and there is about ten minutes cooking time left mix half a cup of warm water with 1/5 cup of flour to make a rough. Mix till it looks like milk.
add it to the pot, bring back to a boil cover and let it cook the remaining 10 minutes.
When the timer beeps remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes, this will help it thicken.
At this point I usually take some out for the girls so it is cooled down by the time we are ready to eat. Now fill up your bread bowls, remember to put lots of the liquid. The bread will soak it up.
Sprinkle some chives on top for garnish
Isn't that pretty..
~Sassy~

3 comments:

  1. Yummy....isn't my daughter just the best!!!!I want some right now it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, you just gave me the hugest craving for clam chowder. send me some canned clams!!! haha. i love the step by step with photos. its way easier to make than what i had imagined

    ReplyDelete