Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spicy Pulled Pork

There is something amazingly soul filling about slow roasted meat. It is tender smooth and ohhh so yummy. This recipes is no exception it is amazing. I love to use it to make tacos, bbq sandwiches, tostadas, pretty much whatever you can think of. My favorite straight out of the oven is tacos.
I didn't ever think I would be one to own a huge cast iron dutch oven, let alone use it all the time. I find that the more I use it the more I am falling in love with it. I have made everything from honey biscuits(on an open fire) to beef stew in my dutch oven. I will have more dutch oven recopies threw out this new adventure. My favorite is the beef stew cooked in hot coals when we go camping, that will have to wait till summer tho.


For now here is some Spicy pulled pork.


First start out by buying a Pork Shoulder any where form 4--7 lbs. This one is 5lbs. The cook time will depend on how many pounds it weighs I cooked this for 5 hours so I would say an hour per pound at 300 degrees. Make sure you start out fat side up.


Get out your food processor and put in the low blade. To this add
1tsp crushed res pepper flakes, add more if you want more kick.. I think next time I will add more kick.

1tsp dried chives, as you can see I put this in pretty much everything

1tbl spoon Cayenne Pepper, this will add kick as well so add more if you like.
1tbl spoon Cumin

4 cloves of garlic.. I love garlic it's what dreams are made of!

half a cup brown sugar
2tbl spoons red or white wine vinegar


half a cup of this yummy stuff, I use this in a lot of stuff I make it has a great flavor!
1tbl spoon of Baja Citrus Marinade*if you can't find this it is still just as good with out it*

Quarter one small onion and add it in as well
Blend all the goodness for about 30 seconds
Add some Olive Oil

and blend for about 30 more


Pour all the mixture over the Pork

Work it in with your hand getting in all the little crevices

Yummm

now add one and half cups water

Cover and put in the oven

you will want to turn this every couple hours.

Then the last 20 minutes jack the heat up to 400 to crisp up
take out of the dutch oven and put it on the serving platter you intend to use. let it stand for 15 minutes

then take two forks and pull it apart. It won't be hard, the hard part was getting it on the serving platter with out falling apart =)


Then serve.. I promise you won't be disappointed. Tonight we had tacos with home made flour tortillas and corn tamalito. Those two recipes are going to come tomorrow and the next day.


Enjoy

~Sassy~









3 comments:

  1. I am going to try making this....yummmmm.
    Good job Sassy! I want some now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this looks scrumptious!!!! I WISH i had a dutch oven (and all the ingredients on your list). I dont think I could bring anything made of cast iron on the plane....

    I'm definitely going to be dreaming of this tonight.... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I am making this tonight, thanks!

    ReplyDelete